Lead Software Developer
15th June 2021
Engitix uses proprietary decellularisation technologies to expand cells in 3D culture. Unlike traditional decellularisation technologies which generate extracellular matrix (ECM) products from animal tissue, the Engitix 3D Tissue Engineering System produces human ECM scaffolds which retain the biophysical and biochemical properties of the healthy or diseased donor organ ECM. These ECM scaffolds are then used to develop in vitro disease models for the discovery and validation of novel therapeutic targets and to identify effective therapeutics for fibrosis and solid tumours.
We are seeking a Lead software developer with deep hands-on experience in software development, understanding of Agile methodologies and scientific programming preferably in the AWS environment. The successful applicant will lead a small software development team in a rapidly growing and innovative biotech enterprise – taking it’s internal data analysis platform to the next level.
Our current Tech stack includes AWS EC2 & S3, Fargate, R/Shiny, linux, gitlab, Docker
- Lead the software development team including project and matrix management; project prioritisation; implementing a culture / system of code review, CI/CD, retrospectives and planning
- Build web applications to store and visualize biological data
- Support and improve existing in-house software, including Shiny web applications.
- Mentor & coach team members
- Design, code, test, debug, document and maintain software
- Participate in project teams with Engitix scientists and our external collaborators, in particular determining the scope and features to add to existing and new applications
- Work with bioinformaticians to implement innovative algorithms for a variety of research projects and turn MVP level code into new applications
Skills and Experience
As well as strong communication, organisational, time and people management skills, you should have:
- An MSc (or equivalent experience) in bioinformatics, Computer science or a related subject
- Demonstrable experience leading small teams in the delivery of new features and applications
- Worked on major production level applications within organisation(s)
- Able to work in an agile way, extending existing code to meet new requirements
- Experience with CM tools such as Git and GitLab
- Experience with tests and CI/CD (unit testing and continuous integration)
- Experience working in industry or a service environment
- Strong programming/scripting skills in R / Shiny
- Comfortable in a Linux/command line environment
- Working knowledge with cloud-based technologies for deployment and management of software
- Experience with containerised software deployment (preferably Docker)
- Familiarity with at least one of the following pipeline tools:- Snakemake, Nextflow, Cromwell or similar
- Solid expertise of developing production quality algorithms and software to analyse large datasets
- Documentation and technical writing skills (desirable)
- Background in bioinformatics (desirable)
To apply for this position, please send a full CV along with a cover letter to email@example.com.