Assay Development Leader, Drug Discovery
Engitix, a privately-owned biopharmaceutical company, is seeking an experienced Assay Development Leader at a pivotal time in the company’s evolution as we drive our small molecule programmes towards the clinic.
We are looking for a dynamic and forward-looking person with high energy, high EQ, strategic thinking capability, and a proven track record in adding tangible value at the individual, team and organisational level.
What you’ll do:
- Contribute to project progression by designing and implementing biochemical and cell-based screening and profiling assays and designing screening cascades to identify molecules with characteristics meeting the Therapeutic Target Profile.
- Lead a team of assay development and screening scientists.
- Develop, evaluate, optimise and implement novel technologies and methods for process improvement.
- Analyse, interpret and report research findings.
- Play a key role in the strategy and the decision-making process to select best drug molecule candidates.
- Work independently liaising closely with colleagues within the project team and across functional groups to ensure deadlines are met. Maintain clear and efficient communication.
- Collate results, manage drug molecule data within the project and contribute to reports where applicable.
What you’ll need:
- Experience with 2D & 3D cell-based assays e.g., binding and blocking assays, reporter assays, signalling assays, mediator release
- Experience with biochemical assays such as ELISA, Luminex, HTRF, Alphascreen and FRET
- Determination of drug EC50 and IC50 and monitoring of key QC parameters
- Prior experience with using automation for drug screening
- Experience of multi-colour flow cytometry and isolation and identification of immune cells would be a further advantage
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to work to set deadlines
- The post holder is expected to work to have several years of line management experience, work well within a team, to have strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as good IT skills
- The post holder will be good at troubleshooting, methodical, well organised, pay close attention to detail, and maintain accurate records.
- PhD or MSc with experience in Biomedical sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or related disciplines
- 8+ years’ experience working in laboratory research in a contract research/biotech/pharma industry environment triaging small molecules in drug discovery
What’s in it for you:
- The opportunity to shape and lead the Drug Discovery activities and associated practices for an exciting business moving rapidly towards the clinic with novel treatment options for cancer and fibrosis indications
- A genuine invitation to partner with, coach and enhance the leadership of the business
- The ability to work with and grow a diverse team in a fast paced and ambitious environment
- State of the art offices and laboratories at The Westworks, White City
- Competitive reward package including private medical insurance, bonus, pension, and much more
Engitix uses proprietary decellularisation technologies to expand cells in 3D culture. Unlike traditional decellularisation technologies which generate extracellular matrix (ECM) products from animal tissue, the Engitix 3D Tissue Engineering System produces human ECM scaffolds which retain the biophysical and biochemical properties of the healthy or diseased donor organ ECM. These ECM scaffolds are then used to develop in vitro disease models for the discovery and validation of novel therapeutic targets and to identify effective therapeutics for fibrosis and solid tumours.