Engitix Ltd, a privately-owned biopharmaceutical company, is seeking a full-time Scientist to join our multi-disciplinary team. Applicants are expected to be self-starters, team players and comfortable working in a dynamic, fast-paced, creative and entrepreneurial environment.
Engitix (http://www.engitix.com) uses proprietary decellularization technologies to expand cells in 3D culture. Unlike traditional decellularization technologies, which generate extracellular matrix (ECM) products from animal tissue, the Engitix 3D Tissue Engineering System produces human ECM scaffolds which retain the biophysical and biochemical properties of the healthy or diseased donor organ ECM. These ECM scaffolds are then used to develop in vitro disease models for discovery and validation of novel therapeutic targets and to identify effective therapeutics for fibrosis and solid tumours.
This is an exciting lab-based role in which you will use genomic and proteomic-based approaches to identify candidate drug targets using our novel extracellular matrix-based cell models. Using biochemical, molecular biology and functional genomic approaches, such as CRISPR/Cas9, you will validate drug targets and novel therapeutic agents.
- Design and perform experiments aimed at oncology target discovery and validation
- Contribute to ongoing oncology research and drug development projects
- Establish high-throughput cell-based assays
- Establishing and maintaining 2D and 3D tissue cultures of primary cells and cell lines
- Analyse, interpret and report results
- Practical experience in cellular and molecular biology, molecular pharmacology or cancer genomics
- Experience in mammalian cell culture, ideally including 3D cell culture
- Hands-on experience of key molecular biology techniques including RNA/DNA extraction, qRT-PCR, ELISAs, western blotting
- Experience in at least one or more of tissue engineering, histology and immunohistochemistry, fluorescence microscopy, FACS cell sorting
- Familiarity with molecular pharmacology and oncology drug development would be an advantage
- Prior working experience in the biotech/pharma industry performing laboratory research would be a further plus
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- PhD in Biomedical sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or related discipline or MSc plus 3 years practical experience in cellular or molecular biology, molecular pharmacology or cancer genomics.
- Able to plan, execute and critically assess experiments independently.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to work to set deadlines
- The post holder is expected to work well within a team, to have strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as IT skills
- The post holder will be good at troubleshooting, methodical, well organised, pay close attention to detail, and maintain accurate records
To apply for this position, please send a full CV along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.