ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Laboratory Organisation & Operation
- Organise lab space and resources, including allocating freezer/refrigerator/liquid nitrogen space, stocking common consumables/reagents/lab supplies and inventory tracking.
- Act as primary resource for purchasing, managing vendor relationships and technical inquiries.
- Communicate with lab-based staff regarding lab logistical and administrative matters. Anticipate, troubleshoot and resolve problems within the laboratory.
- Serve as lab emergency contact and ensure adherence to safety and other lab procedures by all lab personnel.
- Manage licenses and storage of hazardous substances and ensure Material Safety Sheets are up-to-date and available.
- Develop, implement and maintain laboratory SOPs.
Inventory Ordering & Management
- Receive, coordinate and distribute incoming packages, including storing of materials at appropriate temperature and notifying lab staff of receipt of their orders.
- Manage shipping and receiving of research samples and materials, including proper packaging, drafting of shipping documentation and coordinating shipping.
- Manage pipette inventory and service calibrations.
Equipment Maintenance & Operation
- Responsible for all instrument maintenance and for arranging user training for lab staff by supplier service representatives.
- Manage installation of new equipment, tracking and coordinating calibration, services and repairs.
- Work with instrument “super-users” to ensure all equipment is fully functional.
- Organise and maintain IT, data storage and other digital space organisation for all instruments.
- Work cross functionally with other departments to ensure laboratory operations and activities are properly supported and maintained.
- Attend internal scientific meetings to stay closely connected to ongoing and future developments to anticipate, implement, and provide necessary support and changes in laboratory operations.
- Serve on the EH&S Committee.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the COO.
- Bachelor’s Degree in life sciences related discipline.
- 3-5 years’ experience in academic, biotechnology and/or biopharmaceutical laboratories. Start-up experience preferred but not essential.
- 2+ years of laboratory management experience preferred.
- Excellent skills with Macintosh and PC operating systems.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience with standard molecular and cellular biology, cell culture and protein purification
- Familiarity with health & safety and laboratory procedures.
- Familiarity with a wide range of laboratory consumables, instruments and equipment.
- Highly flexible, creative, technically minded and well organised.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work collaboratively.
- Self-motivated to solve problems and improve processes.
- Good written and verbal communication.
- Dependable, strong work ethic and able to go above and beyond minimum requirements.
To apply for this position, please send a full CV along with a cover letter to email@example.com.